CO Home Safety Ltd

Association fined £70,000 for carbon monoxide death

A housing association has received a £70,000 fine following the death of a security guard from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Clyde Valley Housing Association pleaded guilty last month to a breach of the Health and Safety at Work Act after 37-year-old Thomas Fraser was found dead on one of its building sites.

The security guard, whose employer Alpha Securities provided security services for CVHA, was killed on 6 February 2008 by a build-up of toxic carbon monoxide fumes from a petrol generator used to heat and light flats at the £2.2 million development. He was found feet away from the generator in a poorly-ventilated temporary office.

The Motherwell-based housing association admitted in a hearing at Hamilton Sheriff Court that it had failed to ensure Mr Fraser properly understood how to operate the petrol heater. In sentencing, Sheriff Douglas Brown said the fine would have reached £100,000 if the association had pleaded not guilty.

For the full story visit Inside Housing

Carbon Monoxide Alarms

If you wish to purchase a Carbon Monoxide Alarm, Co Alarms Ltd stock a wide range of Carbon Monoxide alarms from top brands like FireAngel, Honeywell, Aico and Kiddie.