CO Home Safety Ltd

Boiler focus of death probe

A WOMAN who survived a suspected carbon monoxide leak at her home which killed her partner has been released from hospital.
She was found unconscious at the home she shared with partner Stephen Newton, 51, in Stanley Common, and was taken to hospital in a serious condition, not regaining consciousness until after the incident on Tuesday, December 29 at 2.50pm.

The woman, who has not been named, has now left hospital and is recovering at home.

Mr Newton was found dead inside the terraced house on private cul-de-sac Brickyard.

Health and Safety officials are probing the incident and checking if a boiler in the house was to blame for the suspected leak.

An inquest into Mr Newton's death will be held on a date yet to be fixed.

Neighbour Sue Ward, 60, said: "I came back from town about 4.30pm and there were police and fire engines on the road.

"I didn't know the couple very well, just to say hello to really, but they seemed very nice. They kept themselves to themselves.

"It's awful what's happened."

Police said Mr Newton's partner had been in a serious condition before she was discharged from Derby Royal Hospital over the weekend.

Neighbours Carol Jones, 58, and Paul Grant, 55, who have been living on the road for 11 years, said: "We didn't know them really well. They've been living there about four or five years.

"It's a terrible thing to happen.

"Firemen have been round to test our boiler and the rest of the house for any carbon monoxide.

"We're definitely going to get a detector fitted now."

Station manager for Derbyshire Fire Service's south area office Roy Reynolds, who attended the house, issued a warning to people to get carbon monoxide detectors fitted to check for any leaks.

He said: "We would like to advise people to make sure any appliances are serviced annually by a competent engineer and ensure any flues or chimneys are cleared regularly.

"We would also like to ask people to fit carbon monoxide detectors in their homes."
 
Carbon Monoxide Alarms and Detectors
If you wish to purchase a Carbon Monoxide Alarm or Carbon Monoxide Detector contact CO Home Safety Ltd.
 

CO Home Safety Ltd will assist in fund raising to provide and fit carbon monoxide detector alarms.  

Our current products include the Honeywell carbon monoxide detector and Aico Carbon Monoxide Alarm