CO Home Safety Ltd

Carbon monoxide awareness campaign warns Halton residents of dangers

A DEADLY gas that you can’t smell or taste could kill you in your own home, campaigners warned this week.

Halton residents were alerted to the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning as an annual awareness campaign was mounted.

Professor Robert Maynard of the Health Protection Agency, said: “Research shows that around 50 people die each year from accidental exposure to carbon monoxide poisoning and many of these deaths take place between November and February due to faulty fossil fuel and wood burning appliances.

“To reduce this risk, it is vital that people ensure these appliances are regularly checked by an appropriately registered engineer.”Some 234 people required hospital treatment last year due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Householders are urged to fit a carbon monoxide alarm which will alert you with an audible siren if dangerous levels are present.

People are advised to take these alarms on holiday with them as well.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, nausea, vomiting, drowsiness, dizziness, chest pains, collapse and loss of consciousness.

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas but sometimes there are indicators which may suggest a fault with domestic boilers or flues.

Signs of trouble are black sooty marks on the bars above gas flames of gas fires, sooty marks on the wall around stoves, boilers and fires and smoke accumulating in rooms due to faulty flues.

Yellow instead of blue flames from gas appliances is another sign that there may be a fault with the appliance.

If you see any of these signs, turn off the appliance, open your windows and arrange for an appropriately registered engineer to service the appliance as soon as possible.

Carbon Monoxide Alarm and Carbon Monoxide Detector Installation

If you would like to find out more about fitting a Carbon Monoxide Detector or Carbon Monoxide alarm in your home, get in contact with CO Home Safety Ltd

Purchase a carbon monoxide alarm or carbon monoxide detector