Carbon monoxide detectors once again proved their effectiveness in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada on Friday.
The detector warned of the CO gas, of which 30 parts per million was found at the front door of the home in Ontario. After this level of exposure, the hazard from the silent killer significantly increases. The alarm ensured that none of the occupants were harmed, as nobody showed any symptoms of CO poisoning. This was the second time in a week that a carbon monoxide detector warned an inhabitant of Sault Ste. Marie that they were in danger. The fire chief of the town expressed his gratitude to the detectors for their life-saving ability.
An effective carbon monoxide detector is a necessity in the fight against the silent killer, shown once again by this case in Ontario. The odorless, colorless gas often remains undetected by humans until it is too late; despite the dangerous levels of the gas in the Sault Ste. Marie home, no symptoms had yet developed.
Russ Pilkington of Co Alarms ltd recognizes the immeasurable importance of the detectors, stating that they are the only real defense against the silent killer.
Obviously, carbon monoxide is a lethal gas. However, the amount of deaths caused by CO poisoning does not necessarily mean that these were unavoidable. The presence of a working detector in homes around the world could render the silent killer harmless.
The danger posed by carbon monoxide poisoning and the effectiveness of the alarms justify the impatience of many charities and organizations such as Co-awareness to see the UK adopt the legislature recently passed in California.