CO Home Safety Ltd

Carbon Monoxide leaks are a hazard in the home

Carbon Monoxide Alarms are an essential piece of equipment that can save your life. At CO Home Safety Ltd we aim to raise awareness of the silent killer and supply high standard Carbon Monoxide Alarms that meet British standard. These alarms include Aico Carbon Monoxide Alarms and Honeywell Carbon Monoxide Alarms and Honeywell Carbon Monoxide Detectors.

Here is a recent Article taken for the London Evening Standard

I saw a young patient recently with strange and non-specific symptoms. As well as dizziness, nausea and shortness of breath, she had one very worrying sign: she was pale but had bright cherry-red lips. She had been staying with her mother in a swish houseboat moored on the Thames at Chelsea.

Because of my suspicions I sent her to the nearest hospital to have her blood gas composition analysed and it showed carbon monoxide levels in her blood of 22 per cent. Normal levels are around 0.1 to two per cent.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal. Last week, two Thomas Cook holiday reps went on trial in Greece accused of the manslaughter of Robert Shepherd, six, and his sister, seven-year-old Christianne, who inhaled lethal levels of CO in their holiday apartment on Corfu.

It is a tragic story but the case of my patient proves that it is not a danger confined to hotels abroad. She had a lucky escape and after receiving hyberbaric oxygen therapy — the patient is put in a high-pressure chamber and the body flooded with pure oxygen to replenish oxygen-starved tissues — she made a full recovery. Investigations revealed a faulty exhaust system on the boat that had caused levels of gases to build up at the end where the girl slept.

Carbon monoxide is a colourless and odourless gas that accumulates rapidly in the lungs and blood. It can bind to haemoglobin and does so about 240 times more tightly than oxygen, forming a compound called carbo­xyha­emog­lobin. This reduces the amount of haemoglobin available to bind to oxygen, so the body and tissues become starved of oxygen. Carbo­xyha­emog­lobin also has direct effects on the blood vessels of the body — causing them to become “leaky”. This is seen especially in the brain, causing it to swell, leading to unconsciousness and neurological damage.

I hate to admit it but I suspect that in private practice CO poisoning is rarely ever considered as a possible diagnosis for a simple reason: we usually think of those at risk of CO poisoning as staying in crummy bedsits and run-down hostels: not the type likely to be accessing private healthcare, and certainly not well-heeled Chelsea types. But doctors should never make assumptions about class and background in this way, for obvious reasons: if we misjudge, it could kill.

As if on cue, a new national campaign called Carbon Monoxide — Be Alarmed! has just been launched to try to reduce the dangers of CO poisoning in the home by installing an audible alarm. The campaign is also lobbying for legislative change to make installing alarms in new builds and rented properties law. According to its research, this subject is particularly relevant to Londoners, who are half as likely as the national average to have an alarm in their home and significantly less likely to understand the risks and characteristics of carbon monoxide.

I had never really thought of this as much of an issue before. But this recent case of mine was an eye opener. Ninety-three per cent of homes have smoke alarms but only 15 per cent have carbon monoxide alarms. And as it is the most common cause of fatal poisoning in Britain today, this is clearly something we all need to address.

CO Home Safety Ltd

For More Information about Carbon Monoxide Alarms Contact. CO Home Safety Ltd can deal with large orders of Carbon Monoxide Alarms.

Russ Pilkington

0161 408 0082