It has now been 12 months since we featured to story about Dr Alan Williams. Dr Williams saved the lives of a entire family after spotting the signs of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning. Here is a look back at the story.
When Peter Adams visited his doctors suffering from severe headaches and nausea the last thing that he would of thought of was that he and his family were suffering from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning. Mr Adams GP had suspected he had a recurrence of obstructive sleep apnoea, which causes sufferers to repeatedly stop breathing in their sleep.
Dr Williams decided to ask how other family members had been feeling in which Mr Adams explained that the entire family had been feeling unwell and tired. Dr Williams then became concerned and recommended a gas engineer be called immediately.
If turned out the the filters for the boiler had become blocked by cat fur. If the family had left the heating on through the night their a chance the whole family would of died in their sleep.
Peter Adams went on to say
“As a family, we were all falling asleep by eight o’clock in the evening.
“My son was having headaches and my wife was constantly feeling tired. The children had stomach cramps and sickness, but we just put it down to winter blues.
“For myself, the worst thing was when I had a couple of nights staying away from the house. I would end up with the most severe headache and being violently sick. From what I’m told it was like withdrawal symptoms.”
Mr Adams, who ironically designs ventilation systems for commercial premises, now urges everyone to invest in a carbon monoxide detector.
For Dr Williams, it was the first case of carbon monoxide poisoning he had seen in his 34-year career. “It’s nice to feel you have done a good job.
“I had a lovely letter from Peter – it’s something I will treasure all my life.”
Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Carbon Monoxide Detectors can be purchased here - Carbon Monoxide Alarms
Obstructive Sleep Apnea
More Information regarding Obstructive Sleep Apnea