CO Home Safety Ltd

CO Awareness plea to health professionals

CO Awareness plea to health professionals: “Let’s work together to prevent deaths and injuries from the UK’s most common poison”

 

The registered charity Carbon Monoxide Awareness is looking for volunteers from within the healthcare professions to act as ambassadors who will raise awareness of carbon monoxide poisoning amongst their professional colleagues.

 

Lynn Griffiths, President of Carbon Monoxide Awareness, said: “Carbon monoxide poisoning is not necessarily the first thing that a doctor or nurse will think of when presented with a classic case. We know from contact with surviving victims and bereaved relatives of people who have died from CO poisoning that all too often people receive poor advice, investigation and treatment after their encounter with carbon monoxide.

 

“The scientific community’s understanding of carbon monoxide toxicity has advanced tremendously over the past decade. Doctors and nurses also know about the subject but unfortunately it isn’t always at the forefront of their minds when dealing with early-stage victims.

 

“Unless we do something to improve the overall state of awareness, cases of exposure to this common and potentially deadly poison will continue to be poorly managed, particularly in the initial stages, and the tragedy of avoidable illness and deaths will continue.”

 

Our medical advisor, Dr Ed Walker, says “Carbon monoxide is unique among poisons. It is lethal and highly toxic even in small amounts, yet is commonly found in homes and workplaces all over the world. As a society we are probably less aware of its dangers than we were 50 years ago, and unless that changes people will continue to die and be severely disabled.” Up to date medical information can be found at www.co-info.­blogspot.­com.

 

It’s not only the public who are at risk. We know of emergency responders exposed to potentially lethal environments when attempting to rescue or resuscitate victims. The first rule of any rescue is that rescuers should not be exposed to unnecessary risk, and we believe it is vital that emergency responders are issued with personal Carbon monoxide monitors as a matter of routine.

 

 The charity is inviting GPs, practice managers, nurses, toxicologists, paramedics, A&E staff, pharmacists, ophthal­mo­logists, opticians, radiographers, children’s specialists and people who care for the elderly to join a group that will meet twice yearly to discuss ways of raising awareness of carbon monoxide amongst professional colleagues.

 

It is planned to hold the inaugural meeting of the group in the House of Lords in June. Anyone interested in joining the group should contact Lynn Griffiths by email at:  LynnCoawareness@aol.com or Lynn@covictim.org Website: www.co-awareness.org or www.­covictim.­org Follow us on Twitter – http://­www.­twitter.­com/­COaware

 

Notes to editors

 

Press release issued by Lynn Griffiths, President, Carbon Monoxide Awareness and Founder of the National Carbon monoxide Awareness week. Tel. 07715-899296.

 

The charity is run completely by unpaid volunteers who aim to make a difference by raising awareness of this silent killer. This is the first of three groups the charity is aiming to put together. However we would value media support in helping us to achieve this.

 

Carbon monoxide is thought to be responsible for around 50 unintentional deaths every year in the UK, but data collection is very patchy and this is probably a gross under-estimate.

 

Chronic, low-level exposure to the gas has in the past been thought to be relatively harmless, but there is strong evidence now to show long term and sometimes permanent neurological damage can be caused by such exposure. The World Health Organisation has recently significantly lowered the maximum tolerable level of exposure in indoor environments.

 

Carbon monoxide is released from the combustion of any carbon-containing fuel, including gas, oil, paraffin, kerosene, petrol, diesel, coal, coke, paper and wood.

 

Please take a look at our new DVD which can be seen via our website's : www.­covictim.­org

 

Lynn Griffiths.
CO-Awareness President and Founder of the Carbon monoxide (CO)-Awareness week
Carbon monoxide (CO)-Awareness Office.
Aintree Community Fire Station,
Longmoor Lane,
Aintree,
Liverpool.
L9 0EN
Registered Charity No. 1125755
NEW website under construction: www.­covictim.­org
Mob: 07715899296