CO Home Safety Ltd

CO Awareness Week 2010

Mum  takes to road to stop’ silent killer’

A WOMAN whose children were victims of carbon monoxide poisoning for 10 years is setting off on a nationwide tour to raise awareness of the dangers of the “silent killer”.

Mum-of-four Lynn Griffiths will travel to London, where she will meet Weaver Vale MP Graham Evans.

She will then visit Scotland, Wales, Sheffield and Northern Ireland in November as part of Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week, the week she founded alongside the charity she launched in 2005.

The 52-year-old widow, whose children have suffered constant ill health after being exposed to the highly toxic colourless, odourless and tasteless gas, has called on MPs, local authorities and health workers to back her cause.

Lynn is now looking for support from both the media and TV as she believes lives could be saved and injuries prevented from this “silent killer” if for just one week they would support her national Carbon monoxide Awareness week.

Lynn say’s: “Carbon monoxide (CO) is the most common poison in Britain today and I believe it's something so many families know so little about.

“We are keen to work with as many different organisations as possible to help prevent carbon monoxide deaths and injuries. I strongly believe by working together we may save lives and help prevent some of the long-term suffering victims go through.

“My children and I were chronically poisoned by Carbon monoxide so know only too well the devastating effects this silent killer can have on family life. We need your support week starting Monday, November 15 to stop this happening to your loved ones.

“With the support of schools, universities, colleges, councils, home builders, registered social landlords, housing associations, letting agents, councils, environmental health officers, builders, architects, manufactures of fires, boilers and heaters, registered engineers, training bodies, fire and rescue, primary care

Trusts, hospitals, paramedics, consultants, doctors, nurses, health visitors, therapists, gas emergency services, gas, oil, wood and coal suppliers, solicitors, local and national press, TV, radio and government ministers, policy-makers and MPs we can stamp out this silent killer

“Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week will raise awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and prevent others from going through the same feelings of isolation, frustration, anger and grief that my family has.”

Lynn, whose charity recently lost Department of Health funding, also aims to spread the word to schools, universities and colleges has well as to house-builders, landlords and gas, oil, wood and coal suppliers.

Already leaflets highlighting the dangers of carbon monoxide poising have been distributed to GP practices in Halton, St Helens and Liverpool.

Halton Housing Trust, which owns around 6,200 properties in Runcorn and Widnes, backed Lynn’s awareness plan.

Nick Atkin, the Trust’s chief executive, has agreed to speak at both the House of Lords and the Sheffield event. “We have supported Lynn and Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week throughout her campaign,” he said.

“We are fully committed to protecting our customers from carbon monoxide poisoning and are anxious to alert people to what action needs to be taken to prevent it.”

Lynn, who runs the charity from her office in Aintree fire station, Liverpool added: “Halton Housing Trust have been very supportive and I cannot thank Nick enough for everything he and HHT have done.”

Carbon monoxide poisoning kills 50 people and seriously injures a further 200 every year in Britain alone. Symptoms include headaches, dizziness, tiredness and nausea and can be mistaken for flu, a virus and even food poisoning.

If you think you are suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning, open the windows and go outside. If the symptoms are serious, consult your GP immediately.