CO Home Safety Ltd

Landlords warned over monoxide threat

LANDLORDS were today warned to be extra vigilant about the killer gas carbon monoxide after a Cleethorpes landlord breached safety regulations.

Helen Beckett failed to make sure gas appliances at a flat in Sea View Street were checked and certified.

Beckett, 42, was fined £1,000 by Grimsby magistrates and was ordered to pay £1,500 costs and a Government-imposed £15 victims' surcharge after admitting breaching regulations and an improvement notice.

The court heard that between July 2007 and January 5 this year Beckett failed to ensure that a gas fire in her rented property in Sea View Street had been checked for safety.

Despite being served with an improvement notice by the Health and Safety Executive in November last year, she failed to get the necessary checks carried out by the required date.

By doing so, she risked putting her tenant in danger of carbon monoxide poisoning, the court heard.

Stephen Guyll, mitigating, said Beckett, of Addingham, Ilkley, West Yorkshire, "overlooked" the fact that the safety certificate was due and claimed she believed it was still valid.......

To Read the full article visit This is Grimsby News

Worried about your Gas Appliances?

If you are worried about your gas appliances then you can purchase a Carbon Monoxide alarm. Products range from £22.50 - £60.35 and are guarenteed to last years.

Carbon Monoxide Detectors