CO Home Safety Ltd

The DOs and DON’Ts of CO Detectors

We have seen time and time again the damaging effects that carbon monoxide poisoning can have on people. Carbon monoxide detectors/­alarms can easily prevent such effects and by following a few simple placement tips you can make sure that YOUR devices are functioning to their full potential.

The DOs and DON’Ts of CO Detectors

DO: place a detector on every level of your home to ensure complete coverage and full protection

DON'T: place the detector near any appliance that burns any type of fuel

DO: make sure that the detector is placed 5ft up from the ground for maximum accuracy

DON'T: put a detector anywhere that the humidity is particularly high, such as in a bathroom

DO: put detectors near sleeping areas. Should the level of CO become excessive during the night, it is essential that every person sleeping in the home can hear the alarm in this emergency situation.

DON'T: Place the detector in the path of direct sunlight, as this can damage the delicate sensory equipment within

DO: consider placing a CO detector near an attached garage. Remember that cars produce the silent killer gas any time their engine is running and that it can quickly spread to the rest of your house. A CO detector here will make sure that the problem is recognised.

DON'T: place detectors near any sources of blowing air. This includes fans, vents and even open windows.

DO: fully read and make sure you understand the manufacturer’s instructions. Each detector is tested to certain specifications and you should always take into account any information given by the manufacturer about that particular device.

CO detectors work by examining the amount of CO in a given amount of air. The gas is measured in a ratio of ppm (parts per million) and, if this gets beyond a certain level, the detector alarm will be triggered. Purchasing the detectors represents a very small initial outlay and protection is immediate and lasts for many years.

To find out more about CO and how you can prevent it causing health problems, simply get in touch with the experts at CO Home Safety Today.