CO Home Safety Ltd

Two rescued after carbon monoxide leak

TWO people and their dogs were rescued by firefighters following a leak of carbon monoxide in Witheridge last night. Devon and Somerset fire and rescue teams were called to Butts Close just after 8pm. The people rescued were given first aid by the fire crews before one of them was taken to hospital by ambulance. A positive ventilation fan was used to clear the property of gas. (Mid Devon Star)

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - The Silent Killer

  • Carbon monoxide poisoning can be caused by inefficient burning of fossil fuels such as gas, coal, wood oil etc. which are used in many household appliances including boilers, open fires, gas fires, cookers, central heating systems etc.
  • Carbon monoxide will be produced normally in negligible amounts if appliances are regularly checked and maintained.
  • Carbon monoxide will be produced in greater quantities if appliances are damaged or flues and vents become blocked. Carbon monoxide poisoning can then occur.
  • Carbon monoxide poisoning can be prevented by having your appliances checked by a gas safe registered engineer.
  • Carbon monoxide poisoning can be alerted against by having a carbon monoxide alarm fitted.